Ghost Town Explorer
spacer
spacer
COPPEROPOLIS CALIFORNIA
Mined actively through three wars

Occupied Historic Town
Calaveras County
Circa 1860 to Present  

Copper was discovered here in 1860 by W.K. Reed and his partner Thomas McCarty. Within weeks a town was forming from travelers who decided to make a go of it here rather than trek over the Sierras towards Monoville and Aurora. Like Virginia City, the mines here were located in town, or the town was built over and surrounding the mine sites. The mines were utilized during the Civil War and consistently through the 2nd World War. Several old occupied as well as abandoned buildings remain, including the former mill. The town is best explored on foot because there are a few old buildings and foundations tucked behind other occupied buildings. McCarty Ranch is located north of Copperopolis on Rock Creek Road.

 

Ghost Town Explorer
Turn of the century ranch found a few miles south of town

Ghost Town Explorer
Brick Ruins hidden in overgrown brush near the main street

Ghost Town Explorer
Mining equipment found at the mill ruins near the center of town

Ghost Town Explorer
Stone Ruins near a present day parking lot off of the main street

Ghost Town Explorer
Remaining Buildings on towns main street

spacer
   spacer
   Copyright 2006 High Desert Drifters, All rights reserved.
DHTML Menu By Milonic JavaScript