Unoccupied Ghost Town
Jolon California was originally a stop over site on the El Camino Real that catered to miners and travelers headed to or from the Los Burros Mining District near the California Coast. As traffic increased Jolon became a commercial hub and gathering place. The settlement turned in to a full scale township which peaked in the early portion of the 20th century. In 1878 a post office was established in the Dutton Hotel. The town's commercial district soon boasted Three Saloons, Two hotels, Two Blacksmith shops, Two Mercantile Stores, a dance hall, Jail, church, two china towns, a school house and a jail house. The town's eventual demise was due in most part to the completion of the southern pacific railroad which bypassed the town, and the development of King City.
In 1920 William Hearst purchased the land that contained the town site. In 1929 the majority of the town had burned to the ground. Hearst eventually sold the land to the U. S. Army in 1940. Today the town remains consist of the General Store, An Active church, and the Adobe remains of the Dutton Hotel.
To those familiar with the works of John Steinbeck, Jolon is known as the setting for his book to a God's own known.
Dutton Hotel in its original form in the early 1900's
Adobe Remains of the Dutton Hotel which stood at the towns northern entrance on the El Camino Real.
Mercantile Store which stood near the center of town.