Home of The 20 Mule Borax Co.
Unoccupied Ghost Town
Prospectors in search of silver were the first to arrive here in the 1860’s. Diminutive mines were developed and worked on a small scale. In 1867 Salt mining began at Teels Marsh. However the discovery that put Marietta on the map took place in 1872 when “Borax” Smith discovered Borate in the same marsh. Smith later founded the infamous 20 Mule Borax Company.
A settlement developed and continued to grow steadily in to 1877 when Marietta was provided with its name and graduated as a real township. At the time 150 people called Marietta home, but growth continued and before long several businesses lined the streets, 13 of which were saloons. Silver mining continued in the hills above Marietta well in to the late 1800’s, as did salt mining in the marsh, However the town began to decline, and by 1890, most of Marietta’s occupants had moved on.
Today, a few falling structures are still evident around the towns former site, as well as the stone walls of “Borax” Smiths general store. Several mines line the hillside above, and there are a hand full of residents that have set up homesteads to the South edge of the former town.
Stone Walls of "Borax" Smiths General Store.
Falling Structures near Marietta's main street.
View From Marietta Mines of Old Town Site and Teels Marsh.
One of Several Mines Located Above Marietta.